Thursday, November 11, 2010

Leaving London

After a week in London it was time to begin our travels in France. We took a train under the English Channel/La Manche to the city of Lille near the Belgium border. For the next 4 days this will be our base as we visit some of the World War I memorials. Both Vimy Ridge and Beaumont-Hamel are just a short drive from here.

We have fond memories of London and just started to get acquainted with the city's vibrancy. We leave feeling overwhelmed by its size and how little we actually got to experience. I guess we will encounter this feeling again in each place we visit. At least in the case of London, we will have a second chance to visit some of the things we missed this time around. We will be back in London next May as we travel back to Canada.

It was also nice to share this first leg of our journey with my (Rob's) mother. She had visited the city several years ago with my now late father and I guess it was a truly special trip for them. I think she really enjoyed visiting England again and sharing it with her grandchildren. I was glad to be a part of it.

It is now time to look ahead to our future journeys. Now instead of figuring out the London Underground, it will be figuring out the trains in France.

P.S. Hope to start posting pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment